Sunday, February 15, 2009

Week 3 of 9-week training plan (B)

Well, I shifted the scheduled runs a bit this week to fit it all in. Monday was a rest day and indeed, I didn't run.

Tuesday: scheduled for 4 miles. I slept late and decided to run during my lunch break at work. Due to time constraints, I only ran 35 minutes. My Garmin didn't catch a satellite (I'm guessing because of being surrounded by tall buildings. I gave up waiting after about 5 minutes and decided to just run based on time. I ran for 35 minutes and am assuming this was about 3 miles. I ran from my office to Centennial Olympic Park, through it and down another street, to the Aquarium, a loop through the Coca-Cola outdoor area and back. Then I ran up 10 flights of stairs to my car. I changed back into my "work clothes" in the car after cooling down a little. I learned that if I plan to run in the future at work, I need to join the gym so I can take a quick shower afterwards. I felt stinky and sticky the rest of the afternoon. Deodorant helped, but just doesn't get rid of that sweaty/salty smell.

Wednesday: scheduled 40 minute tempo run. I covered 3.63 miles in this tempo run. I started with a 5 minute warm up, then a 30 minute run at 6 mph, followed by a 5 minute cool down.

Thursday: scheduled 3 mile run. My legs are sore from yesterday's tempo run, so I decided to take a rest day instead.

Friday: scheduled Rest or easy run. Because I'm running a race tomorrow, I took today as a rest day.

Saturday: scheduled rest day (assuming Sunday as a 10K race). I ran the Run the Reagan 10K race this morning. It was misting rain and I had a fever, which started yesterday. I almost bailed, but did it anyway. I finished in 1:06:17. I only walked during 2 water stops, although I was tempted in the last half to walk up a few hills. I've gotten into such a habit of walking up hills that I had to remind myself that this was a "race" not a training run. I didn't need to walk, so I kept jogging. I finished #266 out of 435 women who participated in the 10K; 28th out of 60 in my age group (40-44). So I guess that makes me a "mid-packer".
Afterwards, I enjoyed talking to Tara and then Ben. I wasn't surprised to see Tara since I tend to run into her at races frequently, but Ben was a total surprise. Hope he did well in the 5K. I went back home, showered, ate lunch, and then spent the afternoon in bed. I wasn't wiped out from the run, but still am feverish with a major headache, stuffy nose and upset stomach.

Sunday: scheduled 10K race (did yesterday). I stayed in bed until about 11 a.m. I needed the rest. I still feel bad, but the fever is gone and my stomach has calmed down a bit. Made up the 3 mile run scheduled for Thursday. I actually ran 3.27 miles on the treadmill, and then took the dogs for a 1 mile walk around the neighborhood. It was a beautiful day (58 degrees and sunny). I wanted to run outside, but since I was so weak, dizzy, and feeling bad I thought it may be wiser to stick to the treadmill. I ran at a slow pace (mostly 4.9 mph). I really enjoyed the walk with the dogs except when Riley wrapped the leash around my legs several times.

So, the plan called for 4-5 days of running. I ran 4 days and 0.73 miles less than prescribed. Considering that I had a fever at the end of the week, I'll give myself a B.

Days run this week: 4
Miles run this week: 16.11
Goal for next week: Follow week 7 of the Hal Higdon half marathon training program (adjust if still sick)

No comments:

Post a Comment