Sunday, June 21, 2009

Week 1 of 17 - Chicago Intermediate Plan

Monday: Today is the 1st day of my 17-week Chicago marathon training plan (Level 2 - Intermediate Runner). The plan calls for a 5-mile run today plus strength training. I got up early and did 5 miles on the treadmill while Kyra (my daughter) was still asleep. I feel highly motivated to follow this training plan. I used the Hal Higdon beginner plan last year for the Spinxfest Marathon in Greenville, SC. I liked that training plan, although I didn't do all the runs, but since I'm running Chicago with my friends Tonya and Lisa, and Tonya wants to follow the Chicago Intermediate plan, I'll do the same. If I follow that plan, I think I'll be better prepared for Chicago than I was for the Spinxfest. I had planned to do the strength training tonight while Kyra was at swim team practice but Tonya and her daughters came to visit. I'll definitely go to the gym Group Power class on Wednesday. Pace = 11:26 minutes/mile

Tuesday: Got up even earlier this morning (thanks Riley! (Kyra's puppy)) and ran 6 miles with 4x200 meter pickups on the treadmill while Kyra slept. Didn't feel into it but pushed through slowly then did the pickups in the last mile. Total pace = 12:44

Wednesday: Went to Gold's Gym and participated in the Group Power class. One of my neighbors was walking in at the same time and she helped me get set up since we were a couple of minutes late. I used light weights and really enjoyed the class! Thanks, Cathy, for helping get set up! I talked to the instructor after class. She's training for the Dublin, Ireland marathon in late October. Wow, that sounds like an awesome vacation!

Thursday: Went for a 5 mile run from home to Mountain Park plus one loop around the park this morning. My legs felt like lead and are sore from last nights strength training class. On my way back home I saw Kyra's future 5th grade teacher turning into the school parking lot. We waved to each other but I don't know if she recognized me in my running clothes and hat. This photo is of my daughter, Kyra, at her swim meet tonight. She's an awesome "Fly Girl". Currently ranked #23 in Gwinnett County for girls age 9-10 in the Butterfly event. Go Kyra!

Friday: Did 3 easy, slow miles on the treadmill this morning. My legs are sore from the strength training class plus 5 miles yesterday. It's muscle soreness, not injury. Hope the soreness decreases before tomorrow's long run. Pace = 12:55

Saturday: The schedule calls for 7 miles today and a rest day tomorrow. I haven't gotten enough sleep this week and my legs are still sore so I opted to sleep late this morning. I woke up at 11:30 a.m. WOW. I feel so much better now after getting much needed rest! I thought about going for an afternoon run, but when I looked at the weather and realized it was 93 degrees, I decided it would be better to just wait until tomorrow morning. The forecast for early morning is 74 degrees.

Sunday: Riley woke me at 5:50 a.m. (alarm clock was set for 6). I ate half a bagel with cream cheese and drank a coke. I packed two Clif Shots into my water bottle pouch and dressed for my run. The dogs were very excited at seeing me carrying my shoes and since I haven't taken them out for a run in a while, I decided to take them out for my first mile. I put them in their harnesses and we did one loop around the neighborhood. Of course, Tasha pooped once and stopped at least 5 times to pee. Why does she feel the need to pee so much when we run? She can lie around the house for hours without having to go... They were still going strong at the end of the mile loop, but I don't want to overdo it. At 6:40 a.m., it was 74 degrees and 85% humidity. I stopped my watch and took them inside, disconnected their leashes/harnesses, made sure they had plenty of water, and then headed back out for the rest of my long run. I headed towards Camp Creek Greenway Trail and went down it. It used to dead-end, but they've extended it. Now there's a ramp that leads up to a road. I wasn't sure which road it was at first, so I turned right and ran on the sidewalk until I saw a familiar shopping center and at the same time a road sign. It was Rockbridge Road. By this point I was at 4.12 miles so I turned around and headed back home. I walked parts of a few up hills going back home, but finished strong. I ran a total of 7.26 miles. Pace = 11:52

Days run this week: 5
Miles run this week: 26.36
Highlight of the week: Highest weekly mileage this year! Ran all the miles the plan called for and did strength training for the first time in months!
Goal for next week: follow Week 2 of Intermediate Plan

No comments:

Post a Comment