Sunday, February 14, 2010


It's been a rough week.  I've been fighting a cold all week and had a fever on Thursday.  We had a snow storm on Friday, which delayed the start of the half marathon on Saturday until noon.  I really enjoyed running the Run the Reagan Half Marathon along snow-lined streets, but the drive there was treacherous.  My heel is hurting worse after running the race, but didn't hurt during. I started having an upset stomach two hours after the race and it's still going.  Hoping for a healthier week next week!  On the positive, the runs that I did this week were great!  And, Kyra (my daughter that doesn't like to run) decided to go for a one mile run on the treadmill Sunday.  My weekly details follow:

Monday:  Rest Day

Tuesday:  I came home from work and had an awesome run on the treadmill while Kyra and Zoe were playing. I totally surprised myself by nailing what I thought was going to be a hard-to-accomplish run prescribed by my running coach. I've had a stuffy head/runny nose for the past few days and felt aweful today. I wasn't sure I could meet his expectations. He prescribed a 4 mile run at a 11:15 minute/mile "nice and easy pace".  Hate to say it, but 11:15 isn't exactly "nice and easy" for me. But it wasn't too hard. I'm used to a slower first mile for warm-up, but tried to hit the pace from the start. Right shin tightened slightly, but finally relaxed in mile 3. I was concerned about hitting the pace before the run because I've had a stuffy head/runny nose the past few days, but surprised myself and nailed it. Actually head/nose feel better afterwards; yay!  I think it helped me to listen to music, rather than podcasts during the run. It kept me pumped.

Wednesday: 1000 yard swim.

Thursday:  I was scheduled to run 5.5 miles today, but this cold has gotten the best of me. Wondering if it is a sinus infection instead. I was so tired all day. Mid afternoon I realized I had a fever. After work, I came home, ate a light dinner, and went to bed.

Friday:  I woke up at 9:30 a.m. and called my boss. I left a message saying I was sick and would be taking a "rest day". What? I must have still been dilirious! I meant a "sick day". But in reality, rest is what I did. I went back to bed and slept until 2:30 p.m.  It was snowing.  I was still tired, but decided I needed to go pick up my race packet before the weather gets too bad. In the evening, I felt so much better. I needed the sleep!

Saturday:  Run the Reagan Half Marathon.  I ran this race sandwiched between a 1 mile warm-up and a 1 mile cool-down to get 15 miles in for the day.  See my separate blog post for more details, but in summary, I felt very positive about the run!

Sunday:  My heel hurts pretty badly from running so much yesterday. I've been icing and stretching it. Bummer.  I'm supposed to swim and bike today, but that's not going to happen, thanks to yet another illness. I started having diarrhea about two hours after the race yesterday and it's been non-stop. As of this morning, I lost 3.2 pounds in 24-hours. I'm sure it's dehydration from the race and diarrhea. I didn't get much sleep last night. It's slowed a little, but still going. Hope it ends soon!

Surprisingly, my daughter walked into the living room this morning, dressed in running attire, and said she was going to go running on the treadmill. She HATES to run! I was shocked!  She said she was bored and wants to improve her mile time. They have a run test each year at school. I showed her how to operate the treadmill and then left her to it. She ran a mile in 9:30. She said her previous mile time was 9:55.  Guess all that basketball running has improved her fitness!  Now if I could only convince her to go running with me...

Weekly Summary:
  • Days run:  2
  • Miles run:  19.07
  • Highlight of the week:  Run the Reagan half marathon with snow-lined streets
  • Goal for next week: feel better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment