Sunday, February 28, 2010

ouch, ouch, ouch

Happy to report that the "ouch, ouch, ouch" of the title of this week's blog is in relation to sore leg muscles rather than plantar fasciitis heel pain!  Each day my heel pain has lessened. The runs that Coach Josh had planned ended up being shifted around a bit, but I still got the 27 (point 09) miles in for the week.  Woo hoo! That's the most miles I've run in weeks, maybe months!  The daily details follow, with stats/goals at the bottom.

Monday:  Rest Day

Tuesday:  was supposed to ride the stationary bike, but didn't make it to the gym.

Wednesday:  4.09 miles in 45:13.  Goal was 4 miles at an 11:15 minute per mile pace, and completed it in 11:03 minute per mile pace average!  I took Tasha (husky mix) with me for the first mile and then swapped her out for Riley (golden retriever) for the second mile, and then dropped him off at home and ran the last two miles alone.  Tasha is now faster than Riley!

Thursday:  I was supposed to run 6 miles today, but worked very late instead.  Will run tomorrow.

Friday:  6 miles in 1:06:41 = 11:06 minutes/mile average pace.  Today was scheduled to be a 'rest day', but since I didn't run yesterday, I talked to my running coach and we agreed to shift my schedule. The 6-mile run from yesterday was supposed to be 1 mile warm-up, 2 miles at 11:30 pace, 2 miles at sub-11 minute pace, and 1 mile cool down. I ran it this evening as follows: 11:59 (warm-up), 11:30, 11:29, 10:53, 10:04, 10:46.

Saturday:  Coach Josh had suggested 1000 yard swim plus 45 minutes on the stationary bike, but if I only had time for one, to choose the swim. Well, as usual in my crazy busy life, it boiled down to only having time for one activity...  swimming.  The photo of this blog post is of Bryn's shoe. Bryn spent the night with us last night and this morning, I noticed her one shoe out in the yard. Kyra insisted that she warned Bryn to keep shoes, etc. closed in her bedroom so Riley couldn't get to them! Bryn insisted that she had. So I settled it saying that at one point last night I noticed that Kyra's room door was open when they weren't in there so I suspect that Riley snuck it out when they were off doing something else. Oh well...  I'm greatful that the only damage was to the shoestring rather than to the entire shoe. I took a shoelace out of one of Kyra's outgrown Nike's to replace Bryn's.

Sunday:  17 miles in 3:13:56 = 11:24 average pace. My daughter didn't feel well today, so I opted to play it safe and run on the treadmill in the basement instead of many times around our neighborhood block.  At 1.8 miles, she came down and said she had vomitted. I went upstairs with her for a few minutes, she said she felt better and that I should continue my run. I put a phone in the bathroom and made her promise to call my cell phone if she got sick again or needed me for anything, because she is my higher priority... I can postpone this run if needed.  She didn't call, but I made it a point to stop every 4 miles and walk upstairs to make sure she was okay. Each time she said she was okay with me continuing my run, so I did. DARN... I was really looking for an excuse to stop because 17 miles on a treadmill is torturous!  My leg muscles were so sore afterwards! Normally I would have taken an ice bath after, but I needed to focus on my daughter instead. The lack of ice bath will probably prolong the soreness, but have to prioritize. She sacrificed for me to run, now it's my turn to give her all the attention she deserves. What a great kid!
Clothing:  I ran in my Champion light blue running skirt, yellow sports bra, and Sarasota half-marathon race technical shirt. As I put on the skirt I remembered that the last time I wore it I thought I should retire it because it was too big. Now, I KNOW I should retire it because it is too big and kept sliding down. RETIRE THIS SKIRT!!!
Nutrition:  I ate quinoa with steamed vegies last night, boiled eggs and bacon and toast this morning, Zaxby's buffalo/grilled salad for lunch.  Then I consumed one Clif gel at mile 5, one Hammer gel at mile 9, another Hammer gel at mile 13, a bottle of water (plus 2 cups during checks on Kyra), and a bottle of Heed/water during the last few miles.  I felt like I had perfect energy and had NO stomach issues. Yay!

Weekly summary:
  • Days run this week:  3
  • Miles run this week:  27.09
  • Highlight of the week:  ran 27 freakin miles!  Plus... heel feels better and no tummy issues during/after long run!
  • Goal for next week: run through muscle soreness

No comments:

Post a Comment