Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Running for Cystic Fibrosis

Well I finally get to check an item off of my To Do List that I've been transferring over day to day to day for weeks now.  I've registered for the Miles Everywhere program for fundraising for Cystic Fibrosis.  The past two years I've run the ING Georgia half marathon for Team 65ROSES to support my friend, Susan. The picture in this blog post is of us (I'm on the left) at the pre-race pasta dinner/silent auction in March 2009.  Susan has Cystic Fibrosis and is the founder of the Reaching Out Foundation.  She had a double lung transplant a decade ago and although she's had challenges along the way, she still inspires me by her active lifestyle which includes playing tennis regularly.  She was one of the first people to welcome my daughter and me into the neighborhood and made us feel that without a doubt, moving here was the right decision. She's been a great friend over the past 6 years and I'm honored to help fund-raise for her.

Like I said earlier, I've run the ING Georgia event for the past two years.  But several months ago, a friend suggested an inaugural marathon in Wrightsville Beach, NC, which would be held on the same date as the ING Georgia. I was torn, but ultimately decided I would prefer to run the Wrightsville Beach marathon this year.  I've spent a lot of time there on business trips over the past two decades, love the area, have run on most of the course, and just want to do something different, especially to support an inaugural event in a town that I consider my "home away from home". I sadly broke the news to Susan that I wouldn't be running ING, but told her that if there was any other way that I could help support the cause to please let me know.  In February she told me about the "Miles Everywhere" option, in which athletes could chose an endurance event other than the ING and still be a part of the 65ROSES team.  SCORE!!!

Click here for my fundraising page.  I'd greatly appreciate any donation that you're able to make.  And if you, or someone you know, has Cystic Fibrosis, let me know and I'll dedicate at least a mile of happy, healing thoughts to you/your friend.  Mile 5-6 is reserved for Nathaniel, the nephew of one of my twitter friends, who is 5 and a half years old and has Cystic Fibrosis.  His aunt made a generous contribution today.  I hope you'll also help support this very worthy cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment