Sunday, October 12, 2008

2 weeks til Spinx Run Fest Marathon

My motivation to run is waning early this week... I took a vacation day on Tuesday to chaperone Kyra's field trip. The field trip was a lot more fun than going to work... As you can see from this Civil War demonstration of soldiers sleeping next to each other to keep warm, the girls had huge belly laughs watching two boy classmates being pushed together on a sleeping mat. Later in the afternoon I planned to do a 4-miler on the treadmill, but just couldn't get into it and quit at 1.5 miles. I was missing Kyra before she even left to go spend 5 nights with her dad. So I quit running with the excuse that I needed to spend more quality time with her, while I could.

Wednesday evening I was grateful my motivation had returned! I took Tasha out for a 2-mile jog, although we walked most of the last half-mile. I let her set the pace. I dropped her back off at home and ran a lap around the block (1 mile) to accomplish a total of 3.05 miles. I celebrated afterwards with dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant.

Thursday, I decided to do a long run on the treadmill while watching my favorite TV show, Grey's Anatomy. I had dinner around 6 p.m. At about 9:30 p.m., half-way into the show/my run, I had an immediate feeling of hypoglycemia. I quickly consumed a Clif Shot, but it was too late. I walked for 10 more minutes and then gave up. 3.23 miles in 40 minutes.

Although I like my Amphipod hydration belt, it just doesn't hold enough liquid for runs over 3 hours in the warm weather. Friday after work, with my 20% off coupon from REI, I purchased a Camelbak Trinity for women which holds 100 oz of liquid and has lots of cargo space.

I decided to go to a place I'd never run before for my longest run of my life. Saturday morning I went to the Columbus Riverwalk. It's over two hours away from my house, but I needed a new setting. I hoped to catch up with an old friend while in the area, but I couldn't reach him when I called Friday night.
I LOVED the path along the Chattahoochee River! It was fairly flat and very scenic. The Camelbak allowed me to pack my camera and I was able to get a few shots of nature. I saw quite a few beautiful birds, but they flew away before I could grap my camera to snap a photo. There is one in the distance on the other side of the river in this photo if you look close enough. It was on my side of the river when I first came up on it, but by the time I got my camera out, I flew to the other side. I loved the Earth Art and really appreciated finding a clean restroom here. I felt good for the first 7 miles, then slowed taking more frequent walk breaks for the next 10 miles, and then walked the last three miles wondering how I am ever going to be able to run 6 more miles in a marathon in two weeks. I loved the Camelbak, once I got the straps adjusted so it sat snuggly on my back. I ate Clif bars instead of clif shots and felt like I had plenty of fuel. I ate salt with water and much preferred that over sports drinks. But my knees, muscles and feet hurt from such a long distance and refused to trot the last few miles. Since I went 10 miles then turned around, I didn't have the option of cutting the distance short. Hopefully the excitement of the race and proximity of other runners will get me through the marathon. I was so tired driving home that I feared falling asleep at the wheel. I don't recall ever feeling this physically exhausted. Back at home, I took care of the pets, took a shower, and climbed into bed at 6:30 p.m.
Total miles for this week: 27.7
Total runs for this week: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment