Sunday, April 18, 2010

the cooties

Well, this week didn't go as planned...  Monday and Tuesday were completed per Coach Josh's instructions, but the rest of the week wasn't. Last Saturday I woke with a sore throat and headache, but completed my long run. Last Sunday I started sniffling. Monday I began coughing. I pushed through my speedwork on Tuesday, but later that day I totally lost my voice. I woke in the middle of the night, in the wee hours of Wednesday with a wicked ear ache. This was the final straw. After taking my daughter to school, I went to the doctor in pain and unable to speak above a whisper. He said I have "the cooties"; I kid you not! What a comedian! I always wondered what "the cooties" really were...  In my case, he translated it into strep throat, sinus infection and ear infection. The sinus gunk is draining into my lungs causing the cough. Oh joy! He gave me two shots and prescriptions for antibiotics and decongestant. I still felt horrible throughout the week, so no more running for me... Hoping for next week :-)  On Friday, I read Holisticguru's post about mindfully eating fruit. So Saturday morning, I mindfully ate my breakfast and took this photo. I sent her a tweet with the photo saying "mindful eating = silly face". To my surprise, she posted it on her blog!

Monday:  Rest Day

Tuesday:  Speed work.  Ran 5.6 miles in 58:10.  Did the run as Coach Josh planned, but it was less mileage than he predicted. 1 mile warm-up at 10:45 (coughed up lung congestion and then felt much better). [I'm not sick, I'm not sick, I'm sick...] Then 3 x 1 mile at 9:40 pace with 0.2 mile jog at 12 minutes/mile pace after each. Followed by 1 mile at 10:45.

Wednesday: Unfortunately, my prayers and proclamations from yesterday of not being sick were ineffective. Woke in the middle of the night with a wicked ear ache on top of the sinus congestion, sore throat, cough, and loss of voice. See intro paragraph for diagnosis.

Thursday - Sunday:  No running. Hope I feel better next week.

Weekly Summary:
  • Days run this week: 1
  • Miles run this week: 5.6
  • Highlight of the week: nailed that speedwork session on Tuesday despite waking up coughing
  • Goal for next week: feel better and psych myself up for 4/24 marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment