Sunday, April 25, 2010

i did it!

I didn't tell many people that I had registered for the Blue Ridge Marathon for fear of another failed attempt. I had a very bad experience in Wilmington, NC in March for what was supposed to be my 3rd marathon. I feared that I would get sick again on race day or something else would go wrong so I kept this marathon a secret in case I failed here too. But that backfired a little... as close friends/family found out, they were upset that I hadn't told them beforehand, but then said they understood why I hadn't broadcasted it. I was sick last week which flowed over into this week. However, I was well enough to run my proudest marathon on Saturday. The following chronicles my week.

Monday:  Rest Day

Tuesday:  Walked 1.35 miles in 37:31 minutes. I traveled to Fort Lauderdale, FL today for a business trip. I was supposed to run 5 miles today, but am still feeling sick. I opted to go for a much needed, peaceful, zen, walk on the beach in the light rain after an amazing dinner.

Wednesday:  I was supposed to go swimming today, but I'm way too congested still and my ear is still quite painful. Took a rest/travel-home-from-business-trip day instead.

Thursday:  Jogged 3.81 miles in 45:24 minutes; average pace 11:55. Still congested with an ear ache, but did an easy jog through the new subdivision nearby. I've been sick for over a week. Hope I get over this soon!

Friday:  Rest day. Drove to Roanoke, VA for my marathon tomorrow!  Picked up my daughter from school at lunch and we drove to Virginia. Her dad, step-mom and half sister are going to be in Virginia this weekend too. We met her step-mom outside of Greensboro, NC and I handed her off, then drove the rest of the way to Roanoke alone. Glad she was with me for most of the drive! I arrived too late to go to the race Expo. As I was driving into town I noticed an amazing man-made star on a mountain; what a beautiful sight! Checked into the Rose Hill Bed and Breakfast around 8:45 p.m. What an amazing little B&B! LOVED the water and few pieces of fudge in my room!
Saturday:  Blue Ridge marathon!  I wrote a separate blog post about this marathon.  It was an AMAZING experience! Click here to read about my experience. After the race, I enjoyed a long soak in the deep claw-footed tub associated with my room at the B&B. Later, I asked for dinner recommendations and the owner of the B&B (Wendy) suggested I go to Wildflour.  It's a local bakery/restaurant that is just a few blocks from the B&B. Other guests at the B&B had dined there last night and highly recommended it as well. Wendy walked with me out onto the porch and pointed me in the right direction. She said it was within walking distance and I thought my legs would benefit from an easy walk, so I that's what I did. The food was AMAZING! I ordered a side salad with sour ginger dressing which was awesome! I had the maple soy glazed salmon as my entree' which was served with asparagus and black beans and rice. SO DELICIOUS!!!  I would highly recommend this restaurant if you're in the Roanoke, VA area.

Sunday:  Rest day. Before leaving Roanoke, I picked up a newspaper. The marathon filled the front page and was extended to another section of the paper. My name was in print! One woman was quoted to say that this race was harder than the ironman triathlons that she had completed.  Then I drove to the top of the mountains that I ran yesterday. Good thing I didn't driven the course beforehand or I probably would have panicked. Wow those roads are steep!  I took several photos for my race blog entry. After spending time amazed at the beauty and reveling in my accomplishment, I had mexican for lunch and then drove home. The ride seemed much longer alone. I hope my daughter had fun with her dad this weekend.

Weekly Summary:
  • Days run this week: 2
  • Miles run this week: 30.1
  • Highlight of the week: slowest but most amazing marathon
  • Goal for next week: recover

No comments:

Post a Comment