Sunday, May 3, 2009

23 weeks til Chicago marathon

After having over two weeks of no sharp knee pain, and Ty making hotel reservations for Chicago, I went on-line to find a training program for the Chicago marathon. The Chicago marathon website has three plans: one for beginner, intermediate, and advanced. I took the Intermediate plan and then worked backwards by 7 weeks to get me from where I am today, to where I would need to be when the 17 week training program would begin. I planned it all out on Monday. I might modify the plan in a few months if Ty decides that she'd prefer to use a different plan since we're going to run our weekly "long runs" together. But at least it's a start for building base mileage.

Monday: Jogged 3.5 miles on the treadmill and stretched afterwards.

Tuesday: Gym: 30 minutes strength training + 30 minutes on the stationary bike. Then went home and mowed the grass (push mower). Thought I was done for the day, but daughter reminded me that we were supposed to practice leash walking with the dogs, so we walked 0.78 miles after dinner.

Wednesday: Jogged 3 miles on the treadmill.

Thursday: Jogged 3 miles on the treadmill.

Friday: Totally guessing, but estimated I walked 2 miles on a trail with 4th graders for Pioneer Day. Plus carried heavy crockpots, coolers, etc. It was supposed to be a "cross training/strength training" day. My original plan was to go to the gym this afternoon, but I was totally exhausted after Pioneer Day efforts. I'm considering that a cross-training effort.

Saturday: Gym: 30 minutes strength training + 4 mile jog on the treadmill while daughter was at birthday party. Would have preferred to run outside, but it was storming. Watched Kentucky Derby pre-show during jog instead. The gym treadmill is much better cushioned than my home treadmill. When my home treadmill dies, I will definitely invest more in the next one.

Sunday: Rest day

Days run this week: 4
Miles run this week: 13.5
Highlight of the week: created training plan and stuck to 1st week!
Goal for next week: run 15 miles + 2 days of strength training

No comments:

Post a Comment