Sunday, May 16, 2010

SQUIRREL

I NEED to get back into a more structured exercise routine. Running 1-2 days a week with scheduled bike rides and swimming just isn't working for me. I've never been a huge fan of biking. I'd also like to get the dogs back into running shape, and I seriously need to lose some fat. Not to mention that I'm way behind on my goals for 2010. I'm considering getting up each morning and going for at least one mile (starting next week). The thought is to take Riley for a mile one day, Tasha for a mile the next day, then repeat so they are starting out at a mile every-other-day. Then after a few weeks, gradually increase the distance. On days that I'm supposed to run, I'll drop the dog off after what I'll consider my warm-up mile and then do the rest of the miles on my own. I haven't thought this through completely yet, so it may all go by the wayside, but we need a change! I took them both for a mile on Saturday and gave them both a rest on Sunday. I think I'll take Riley on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; and Tasha on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays or Sundays. Check in next week to see if I follow through. I got in three easy runs and a swim this week. Read below for daily details, followed by my weekly summary.

Monday:  Ran 4 miles in 41:40 minutes, 10:25 minutes/mile average pace. I was taken off guard when I looked at my daily email from Buckeye Outdoors and saw that the plan was for four miles today. Monday is normally my off day. I was eager to run, since I skipped the four miles on Saturday, so I adjusted my schedule and left work a little earlier than originally planned to get it in. Was pleased with the pace!

Tuesday:  I was supposed to bike today but worked late instead. I'm just not too thrilled about biking...

Wednesday:  Rest Day. Enjoyed going to the high school girls soccer game with our neighbors.

Thursday:  Swam 1400 meters in 45:55 minutes. Swam a variety of sets that Coach Josh had planned for me. Felt good.

Friday: Again, I'm thrown off by this change of routine. I'm used to having Friday's off, but Josh scheduled 4 miles. Decided to take today as a rest day and run tomorrow instead.

Saturday: Ran 4.11 miles in 50:44 minutes, 12:21 minutes/mile average pace. Ran the first mile (and fastest) with Riley (golden retriever), ran the second mile with Tasha (siberian husky), then ran my neighborhood 2-mile loop alone. I haven't taken the dogs for a run in a long time. The last time I took Riley, he only ran for a half-mile and walked the rest, so I expected the same from him today. But he surprised me and ran the entire way, except for a few steep hills. There were a lot of squirrels out, which kept him on the chase. After our mile loop, I dropped him off at home and leashed Tasha. As usual, she had to stop and pee a dozen times and pooped once. She ran a steadier pace than Riley, but with all the stops, her mile was much slower. Then I ran the 2-mile loop in our neighborhood by myself. I felt sluggish. It was 75 degrees with 76% humidity.

Sunday: Ran 2.06 miles in 27:01 minutes, 13:06 minutes/mile average pace. I've been feeling so out-of-shape. Since I skipped the scheduled bike rides this week, I opted for an easy jog/walk in the neighborhood.

Weekly Summary:
  • Days run this week: 3
  • Days run this year: 53 (about 24 runs behind 2010 goal)
  • Miles run this week: 10.17
  • Miles run this year: 341.7 (about 31 miles behind 2010 goal)
  • Highlight of the week:  SQUIRREL! aka running with Riley
  • Goal for next week: run more and lose a pound

No comments:

Post a Comment