Thursday, December 2, 2010

best mile of the year

At my daughter's middle school, they take PE for two of the four quarters. She gets it the last half of the school year. She's learned from her friends that in order to make an "A", you have to be able to run a mile in under 8 minutes. So yesterday she said that she wants to start running a mile with me every day. I was ecstatic!!! I've forever been jealous of people whose children like to run with them. She hasn't run in quite a while, so before we even left the driveway, I told her that we should start slow, take as many walk breaks as she needed, and just use this as a baseline. We didn't get very far down the street before she wanted to walk. She begged me to turn around and go back home. This was HARD. I insisted that we keep moving forward and told her that we were going to go a mile, but we could walk as much as she wanted. She slooowwwllllyyy moved foward. I cracked silly jokes and we kept putting one foot in front of the other. I let her set the pace. We walked more than we ran, but we had fun and laughed and knew that the next time we run a mile, it will be faster.

I bought a pair of Newton running shoes at the Atlanta half marathon race Expo. The representative told me to start with one mile, every other day, and slowly add to it. So I used today's run with Kyra for my first mile in these shoes. Since we walked more than ran, I can't really give the shoes a review, but they are definitely different from my typical running shoes and I loved the bounce.

No comments:

Post a Comment