Friday, June 4, 2010

bonked

I left the office just after the thunderstorm ended. I was greeted by a magnificent rainbow on the drive home. I tried to snap a photo with my phone (while stopped at a traffic signal, of course), but the photo pales in comparison to the real beauty.

The lesson that I learned on my run today was... DON'T SKIP BREAKFAST and then expect to perform a stellar run! I slept late this morning and rushed around all day and simply didn't take in enough fuel. I was hungry before my run this evening, but didn't want to eat too much and risk an upset tummy, so I grabbed a handful of nuts and drank a cup of juice on my way to the park. I started the run feeling great, but then in the 3rd mile I felt my blood sugar level plummet. My original plan was 5 miles, but I just couldn't do it. I stopped at 4.05 miles feeling shaky and weak. I was so frustrated! Why didn't I bring some calories with me to have on the run? Because I ran 6 miles on Wednesday without a need for water or fuel so I thought I could certainly run 5 miles without in-run replenishment. One less thing to carry. I should have gone with my first instinct. Oh well...  lesson learned...

No comments:

Post a Comment