Wednesday, July 15, 2009

12 miles on Silver Comet Trail

Earlier this week I tried to figure out how I could possible get my 12-mile long run in when I was going to be at the beach. So I decided to move it up to today and leave work after my 9 a.m. meeting to get it done. So that's what I did. I left the office around 11 a.m. and drove to the Silver Comet Trail. I wore my Trinity Camelbak with 100-ounces of water and carried my Hammer gel flask with 5 servings of raspberry gel. I also carried Endurolytes. It was hot and humid. It was 81 degrees when I started at 11:30 a.m. and 87 degrees when I finished at 2:15 p.m. I went slow with more walk breaks during the last 2 miles, and walked last half-mile completely. In the beginning, I took 1-minute walk breaks after each mile of jogging. I listened to the Veganrunningmom Podcast Episode 11 during the first hour. After that first hour I realized I hadn't been fueling as much as I should have so I stopped listening to my iPhone and focused on running. From that point on, at every 10 minute mark I walked 1 minute and sipped more water. At every 20 minute mark I walked 2 minutes, took an Endurolyte, drank 2/3 serving Hammer gel, and drank water. This worked great for me until the last mile when I started taking more walking breaks. I felt good during this run although it was hot and humid. When I finished, I sat on a shaded bench beside the parking lot and ate strawberries and boiled eggs while attempting to cool down. Surprisingly, I still had plenty of energy to go shopping with my daughter for our beach trip and then go out to eat. But my plans to pack this evening were thwarted as I fought to not fall asleep while driving home for dinner. When we arrived home around 7:30 p.m., I took a shower and headed to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment