Sunday, July 26, 2009

Skipped the Trail Race to take care of sick puppy

(This photo was taken of Riley on his first birthday, two days ago.) I had registered to run the XTERRA Pig Trail 10K race this morning in Macon. I set out my clothes, water bottle, gels, shoes, etc. last night and set my alarm clock for 4:30 a.m. I would need to leave home by 5 a.m. to give me plenty of time to make it to the race location before it began, even if I made a wrong turn. I fell asleep on the couch with Riley last night. He was cuddling between coughs and I didn't have the heart to move. I set my cell phone alarm in case I couldn't hear the alarm clock in the bedroom. Riley slept restlessly and each time he woke, his cough sounded worse. Through the night I wondered if I should stay home with him instead of going to the race. What if he coughs up whatever is stuck and it causes more damage? When I got up at 4:30 a.m., completely exhausted from not sleeping well with Riley, his cough was even worse. I decided a 10K race located two hours away, meaning I'd be gone all morning, was just not worth the risk since he's not feeling well. So I turned off the alarm clocks and laid back down. Although I was really looking forward to that trail race, I was just too worried about him for it to have been enjoyable. There are plenty of other trail races in the future; taking care of our puppy is my top priority for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment